Unpredictability - Good for your health

Our modern life is based on organising an environment free from the unexpected. The house needs to be as stable and reliable as possible. The job as safe as possible. Nothing should break down. Nothing but what we predict, should occur.
This is the life of the zoo animal. Let's explore the life of the Nomad. Let's live the life of the Nomad.

Monday 20 August 2012

The daily Hike

When your abode during the week is a camper van, it is a good idea to engage in some activities that will take you away from this confinement.  For me, surrounded by the stunning Pennine landscapes, hiking seemed the obvious thing to do.  Hiking is great.  Some of the benefits:

1) Relieves the stress of the day in the office.
2) Burns off calories and helps keep the weight down.
3) As with all activities, there will be a fitness and health dividend.
4) It is less stressful on the body's bones and tendons than running; and providing the route taken is not too adventurous you are unlikely to encounter any mishap.

Some hikers will never repeat a hike, but for me, situated at this campsite in Marsden - a great five mile hike was right on my doorstep.  Pule Hill. And I repeated it every evening. Here are some pics along the path.









The cross is a memorial to the soldiers that served during World War 2 with the Duke of Wellington's West riding regiment.

There are several air shafts along this hiking route.  Underneath the hill run four tunnels, one of them being a canal tunnel.  If you follow the route down from this cross you will come to the Standedge visitor centre and you can explore the tunnel by taking a tour.

Standedge Tunnel and Visitor Centre

And now my time in Huddersfield has come to an end.  The contract was extended until the funds were depleted.  There is some relief to be free of the great Northern trip every weekend.  The nice thing about working with computers is that there always seems to be more work around the corner.  The client of the consulting company offered me a contract.  And it became an option to move my caravan to Huddersfield and completely relocate.  But the contract was only verbal and there was a failure in the administration.  Meanwhile the consulting company asked me to work for them as, what they call, an "associate contractor".  This means that I work as if I am an employee, but still retain my contractor's rate and self employed status.  So now I have ongoing employment, and even when not assigned to a client, my rate is still paid.  On the other hand, I have to go and work wherever I am needed, within reason.  There is a possibility I will be working in Scotland.  I am hoping this will be the case since there is some great hiking to be done there, and I have always found the Scots to be a fun and friendly people.  I will soon find out where my next assignment will be.  But now I am free from the commitment to work for three weeks.  My holiday time begins and there are some nomadic adventures planned.

Peace to All


1 comment: